Apply on line at http://www.alohacare.org/Careers/Default.aspx
AlohaCare is a local, non-profit health plan serving the Medicaid and Medicare dual eligible population. We provide comprehensive managed care to qualifying health plan members through well-established partnerships with quality health care providers and community-governed health centers. Our mission is to serve individuals and communities in the true spirit of aloha by ensuring and advocating access to quality health care for all. This is accomplished with emphasis on prevention and primary care through community health centers that founded us and continue to guide us as well as with others that share our commitment. As Hawaii’s third-largest health plan, AlohaCare offers comprehensive prevention, primary and specialty care coverage in order to successfully build a healthy Hawaii.
AlohaCare employees share a passion for helping Hawaii’s most underserved communities. This passion for helping and caring for others is internalized and applied to our employees through a supportive and positive work environment, healthy work/life balance, continuous communication and a generous benefits package.
AlohaCare’s leadership empowers and engages its employees through frequent diversity, recognition, community, and educational events and programs. AlohaCare has a strong commitment to support Hawaii’s families and reinforces a healthy work/home balance for its employees. Because AlohaCare values honesty, respect and trust with both our internal and external customers, we encourage open-door, two-way communication through daily interactions, employee events and quarterly all-staff meetings. AlohaCare’s comprehensive benefits package includes low cost medical, dental, drug and vision insurance, PTO program, 401k employer contribution, referral bonus and pretax transportation and parking program.
These employee-focused efforts contribute to a friendly, team-oriented culture which is positively reflected into the communities we serve.
The Controller is responsible for the maintenance and accuracy of the company’s general ledger and subsidiary ledgers, as well as for the accurate and timely preparation and dissemination of all internal and external financial statements and related financial reports. The Controller provides direct supervision to a staff of three – the Senior Accountant, the Accountant, and the Junior Accountant.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ensure the ongoing completeness and accuracy of the general ledger and subsidiary ledgers.
• Oversee and manage the monthly accounting “close” process, including preparation of journal entries, review and approval of subordinate’s work, develop supporting documentation, ensure reconciliation and validation of account balances, etc.
• Oversee and manage the timely and accurate production and distribution of monthly internal financial statements, in conformity with GAAP.
• Oversee and manage the timely and accurate production and distribution of external regulatory financial statements, in conformity with SAP. Serve as the internal subject matter expert regarding Statutory Accounting Principles.
• Oversee the Financial Operations of AlohaCare (Accounts payable, Corporate Expense Reporting, etc).
• Oversee and manage self-direct payroll (related to member care)
• Monitor and manage cash, investments, regulatory performance bonds, and cash flow.
• Manage the annual budget cycle, including monthly variance analysis while collaborating with applicable Leadership to ensure timely, appropriate corrective remediation.
• Support and ensure timely completion of the annual financial audit, compliance audits, and regulatory reporting inquiries.
• Ensure timely and accurate Revenue recognition per GAAP (& SAP) and in reconciliation with DHS contract and payments.
• Support development of annual CMS Medicare bid.
• Maintain Finance Department Policies and Procedures up-to-date.
• Support the design, installation, and maintenance of internal controls to facilitate and ensure timely and accurate financial accounting and reporting.
• Support the selection, installation, and maintenance of automated systems to facilitate and ensure timely and accurate financial accounting and reporting.
• Develop, implement, and oversee processes to determine adequate required financial estimates, including:
o Incurred but not reported (IBNR) reserve
o Reinsurance recoveries
o Payroll liabilities
o Capitation receivable
o Pharmacy Rebate receivable
o DHS Risk Shares
o Provider Risk Pools
• Participate in the annual development of the operating budget.
• Directly supervise department staff, and perform all associated HR requirements.
• Other, as assigned
• Responsible to maintain AlohaCare’s confidential information in accordance with AlohaCare policies, and state and federal laws, rules and regulations regarding confidentiality. Employees have access to AlohaCare data based on the data classification assigned to this job title.
• Bachelors Degree in Accounting, or related field of study
• 5+ years experience in accounting
• 2+ years experience in supervisory/managerial positions.
• Strong interpersonal, team building, and communication skills.
• Ability to achieve results and build trust.
• Masters degree in Accounting, Business Management, Healthcare Administration, or related field of study
• Managed Medicaid knowledge and experience.
• CPA, or other related professional certification.
• Experience with general ledger system selection and conversion.
• Experience in not-for-profit, provider sponsored health plans
Mental, Physical and Environmental Demands:
• Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
• Inside working conditions
• No environmental hazards
• Requires operation of general office equipment to include PC
AlohaCare is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants in accordance with sound practices and federal and state laws. Our policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity or expression), pregnancy, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, arrest and court record, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, credit history, citizenship status, military/veterans status, or other characteristics protected under applicable state and federal laws, regulations, and/or executive orders.Position Description »