Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the San Francisco Health Plan (SFHP) Information Officer (IO) provides tactical and strategic leadership and oversight for systems integrations, applications development, telecommunications, applied technology, technical services and SFHP decision making involving information technology (IT) and Information Services (IS). You direct and manage the acquisition, design, planning and implementation of the organization’s business applications and systems and ensure the security, viability and confidentiality of the organization’s data and technology systems. In addition, you are responsible for the integrity of data management at SHFP including data exchange standards (HIPAA transactions) and practices between SFHP and external trading partners.
The IO is responsible for:
• ITS management reporting functions
• Assessment and application of existing and new technologies designed to improve the organization’s efficiency and effectiveness
• Development and vetting of preferred technology vendors
• Enforcement of new technology acquisition and/or replacement policies and procedures
• Development and effectiveness of preferred technology vendors and contractors
• Oversight of IT related contract negotiations and performance monitoring
• IT strategy development and implementation supporting the organizational business strategy
• Promote and further SFHP’s culture and mission by fostering an environment where all staff are recognized, understood, appreciated and embrace inclusion and belonging.
Please note this position requires the person be domiciled in the San Francisco Bay Area or California, with the ability to be in the main San Francisco office up to 4x per month.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
• Provide the strategic and tactical leadership and guidance regarding all information technology and telecommunications support systems and staff needed to implement and maintain all IT infrastructure, systems, and applications for a Managed Care Organization (MCO), in accordance with the organization’s business needs.
• Provide strategic information and recommend up-and-coming and/or innovative technologies to the COO and SFHP Executive Team (ET) for future business needs consideration.
• Provide strategic vision and leadership for the future development and implementation of the organization’s IT infrastructure, systems, applications, and telecommunications initiatives. Ensure information technology goals, objectives and project initiatives align with and support the organization’s business goals, objectives and mission.
• Lead the development and implementation of IT operating and security policies and procedures to ensure compliance with all applicable federal and state regulations and all applicable grantor/funder requirements and SFHP internal controls.
• Ensure SFHP applications and systems are HIPAA security and privacy compliant and implement remediation action plans when security risks are identified. Maintain and support the up-to-date system patches and upgrades to all SFHP mission critical applications. Collaborate with the SFHP Compliance Officer and provide guidance to the SFHP Security Officer for the implementation of security and privacy best practices to safeguard SFHP’s ePHI from potential external/internal malicious attacks.
• Drive IT risk management and problem resolution processes when issues arise. Assess and prioritize the criticality of problems/issues and notify all areas impacted effectively and timely. Identify core issues and recommend best practice solutions. Identify and communicate any potential or actual fiscal and operational impacts. Take all appropriate steps to ensure timely, appropriate, and effective outcomes. Focus on proactive, rather than reactive responses and solutions.
• Develop an IT governance process that includes: the development of and IT annual plan, capital and investment budget; strategic plans for the technical infrastructure and application architecture that support the organizations business goals and objectives; standards and protocols for data exchange, communications, software and interconnection of information systems; plans and processes for disaster recovery; plans to ensure the organization meets any and all required internal and external accrediting standards; and IT staff training.
• Ensure IT performance competencies and metrics are appropriately established and defined; and, communicated, measured, and understood by all members of the IT team.
• Establish and maintain a reliable, service-oriented, client focused IT team as perceived by the majority of management and staff. Take all necessary steps to ensure that IT systems and applications support ongoing SFHP operations and align with SFHP business objectives, goals and mission and remain readily available to users.
• Lead the development of an organization-wide knowledge management program. Oversee and manage the development of an effective, efficient, seamless data management warehouse that aligns with and facilitates the organization’s day-to-day business and user support needs.
• Design, implement and maintain a disaster recovery plan that ensures timely and effective restoration of SFHP data and IT services in the event of a disaster.
• Direct and ensure the preparation and dissemination of thorough, accurate and timely monthly and special request management reports, including outbound eligibility extracts or 834, capitation rosters, government regulatory agencies’ reports (DHCS encounter submissions), and Remittance Advice or 835.
• Oversee vendor relationships, negotiate and/or review financial impact of all IT equipment and application licensing and purchase leases schedules, costs, and contracts. Work closely with CFO and/or Finance staff to develop financial impact analyses as needed. Provide COO with analysis and recommendations related to organization-wide or special use software and/or voice/data telecommunication systems upgrades, changes, and expense schedules. Advise COO timely of budgetary impact.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING
• 10+ years of experience in technology management, preferably in a health care related field.
• 8+ years of progressively increasing leadership responsibilities
• Bachelor’s degree from four-year accredited university or college in information systems or related field with emphasis in information technology. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
• Eight (8) or more years of demonstrated strategic and tactical leadership success with increasing responsibility in information technology (“IT”) in $10 million plus managed care and health insurance business processes and technology systems. Demonstrated success in building and leading high performing information technology teams and managing tactical (day-to-day) information operations and staff.
• Demonstrated depth of knowledge and understanding of and successful work experience in the areas of: IT technologies, support systems and processes; Medi-Cal/Medicare and California managed health care and SCHIP program requirements; IT compliance with HIPAA and all other applicable laws, regulations, and requirements; IT support systems and reporting requirements in health plans.
• Demonstrated experience and effectiveness in leading and managing IT and telecommunications risk assessment and problem resolution processes. Effective in assessing and communicating criticality of issues; identifying core issues and appropriate, best practice solution sets and their potential fiscal and operational impact; and notifying all impacted departments. Focuses on pro-active rather than reactive responses and problem resolutions.
• Demonstrated success in building, motivating, managing, and retaining productive, customer-service oriented, high-performance teams. Demonstrated effectiveness in consensus building and team leadership. Excellent team leader and team player. Works effectively and efficiently in team environments and independently with minimal supervision in diverse, dynamic, deadline driven environments.
• Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills; interacts effectively and appropriately with all levels of management and staff. Proven success in developing and maintaining positive, professional working relationships with all levels of management, staff, consultants, providers, and governmental agency staff.
• Demonstrated mastery and effectiveness in verbal and written communications including preparation of general business communications, e-mail, and interactive messaging. Strong presentation skills. Effective in explaining information technology concepts and systems to non-technical professionals.
WHAT WE OFFER
A competitive and robust compensation package, including:
• Health benefits
o Medical: You’ll have a choice of medical plans, including options from Kaiser and Blue Shield of California. Employee-only coverage in the HMO plans is currently available at no cost and dependent coverage is heavily subsidized by SFHP.
o Dental: You’ll have a choice of a basic dental plan or an enhanced dental plan which includes orthodontic coverage.
o Vision: Employee vision care coverage is available through Vision Service Plan (VSP).
• Retirement – Employer-matched CalPERS Pension and 401(a) plans, 457 Plan
• Time off – 23 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) and 13 paid holidays
• Professional development: Opportunities for tuition reimbursement, professional license/membership.
• An opportunity to work in a vibrant atmosphere with the most amazingly talented people who are shaping the future of healthcare!
• The opportunity to make a difference in the lives of many San Francisco residents!
San Francisco Health Plan is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a work environment that supports and respects all individuals and in which our processes are applied without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
San Francisco Health Plan is an E-Verify participating employer.Position Description »