Staff Attorney (2 Openings)
CalOptima is a county organized health system that administers publicly funded health care coverage for low-income children, adults, seniors and people with disabilities in Orange County, California. CalOptima’s mission is to provide members with access to quality health care services delivered in a cost-effective and compassionate manner. With $3.6 billion in annual revenue, CalOptima serves nearly 800,000 members, delivering services through four programs, Medi-Cal, OneCare Connect, OneCare and PACE. For the past six years, CalOptima has been rated the top quality Medi-Cal plan in California, according to the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) Medicaid Health Insurance Plan Ratings 2019–2020.
Under the general supervision of the Deputy Chief Counsel, the Staff Attorney position performs a variety of professional and specialized legal work in the preparation of legal opinions; provision of legal guidance to CalOptima departments; creation and review of legal documents, proposed arrangements, policies and proposals; representation of CalOptima at depositions and/or administrative hearings; and performance of related work as assigned. This position is assigned a wide variety of professional legal work. This position requires adaptability, attention to detail, multi-tasking, analytical skills, strong interpersonal skills, ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment, a high level of professionalism as well as the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment. The incumbent must be able to work under the pressure of strict deadlines on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
* Juris Doctorate Law Degree with an active license to practice law in the state of California required.
* At least 3 years of experience in the practice of law preferred.
* Public agency and/or health care experience required.
CalOptima’s Staff Attorney must possess the ability to:
* Work effectively with all levels of staff, representatives of other public agencies and governing bodies.
* Evaluate and appropriately assess the legal implications of projects and issues assigned, raising issues to the Deputy Chief Counsel as appropriate.
* Advise and assist CalOptima management and staff in understanding and applying legal interpretations and requirements.
* Conceptualize and effectively perform legal research and analyze applicability of law to CalOptima’s operations.
* Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and produce high quality legal work under pressure and time constraints.
* Present statements of fact and law clearly, logically, and concisely in written and oral form.
* Prepare and present cases in court or administrative hearing.
* Maintain an environment of teamwork and collaboration conducive to expanding knowledge and expertise.
CalOptima’s Staff Attorney must have the knowledge of:
* Laws and regulations pertaining to public agencies and the delivery of healthcare services and contractual arrangements particularly in the context of managed care.
* Public contracting and contract development, including general contract terms and conditions.
* Legal rules, principles and practices, including civil and administrative laws and procedures.
For a complete job description and to apply online, please go to www.caloptima.org. Questions can be directed to Debbie Neal, Senior Recruiter, 657-235-6891 or email@example.com.Position Description »