Public Policy Analyst
Apply on line at http://www.alohacare.org/Careers/Default.aspx
AlohaCare is a local, non-profit health plan serving the Medicaid and Medicare dual eligible population. We provide comprehensive managed care to qualifying health plan members through well-established partnerships with quality health care providers and community-governed health centers. Our mission is to serve individuals and communities in the true spirit of aloha by ensuring and advocating access to quality health care for all. This is accomplished with emphasis on prevention and primary care through community health centers that founded us and continue to guide us as well as with others that share our commitment. As Hawai`i’s third-largest health plan, AlohaCare offers comprehensive prevention, primary and specialty care coverage in order to successfully build a healthy Hawai`i.
AlohaCare employees share a passion for helping Hawai`i’s most underserved communities. This passion for helping and caring for others is internalized and applied to our employees through a supportive and positive work environment, healthy work/life balance, continuous communication and a generous benefits package.
AlohaCare’s leadership empowers and engages its employees through frequent diversity, recognition, community, and educational events and programs. AlohaCare has a strong commitment to support Hawai`i’s families and reinforces a healthy work/home balance for its employees. Because AlohaCare values honesty, respect and trust with both our internal and external customers, we encourage open-door, two-way communication through daily interactions, employee events and quarterly all-staff meetings. AlohaCare’s comprehensive benefits package includes low cost medical, dental, drug and vision insurance, PTO program, 401k employer contribution, referral bonus and pretax transportation and parking program.
These employee-focused efforts contribute to a friendly, team-oriented culture which is positively reflected into the communities we serve.
The Public Policy Analyst position is key to AlohaCare’s objective to advocating for the health and well-being of our membership, beneficiaries of Hawai’i’s Medicaid and Medicare Special Needs Plan Program and disadvantaged communities and populations. Candidates must be competent at researching, analyzing and communicating county, state and federal legislation as well as private initiatives regarding health and social determinants of health. AlohaCare relies upon this position to write testimony, reports and correspondence as well as represent AlohaCare professionally and consistent with AlohaCare’s, mission and values.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform research and analysis of health and social determinants of health county, state and federal public policy, regulation and private initiatives.
• Produce high quality communication work product including testimony, correspondence, reports, presentations and other material.
• Track and monitor legislation.
• Attend public hearings and meetings related to public policy assignments.
• Support collaboration with internal and external partners.
• Represent AlohaCare in a variety of public and private forums, including legislative hearings, conferences and collaborative projects.
• Coordinate projects and activities related to public policy goals and objectives.
• Responsible to maintain AlohaCare’s confidential information in accordance with AlohaCare policies, and state and federal laws, rules and regulations regarding confidentiality. Employees have access to AlohaCare data based on the data classification assigned to this job title.
• Comply with all applicable State and Federal rules, regulations, policies, and procedures relating to marketing, communication and advertising materials and activities.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field
• Prior health industry and/or public policy experience
• Willingness to embrace AlohaCare’s unique mission, corporate culture and overall goals.
• Positive, energetic and self-motivated
• Ability to play an effective role on a team with members of various skill and expertise
• Ability to adapt to new directions and information.
• Ability to work in a variety of cultural and business environments
• Capable of working under tight deadlines and managing multiple priorities
• Ability to work independently in the absence of direct supervision.
• Strong written, oral and interpersonal communication and organizational skills
• Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem solving ability
• Ability to effectively coordinate projects
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office products
• Valid driver’s license and access to an insured vehicle for off-site activities.
• Three to five years related experience or equivalent.
• Public speaking and presentation skills.
• Masters or Professional Degree, or equivalent combination of education, professional training and/or work experience which demonstrates the capability to perform the functions of the position.
Mental, Physical and Environmental Demands:
• Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
• Inside working conditions
• No environmental hazards
• Requires operation of general office equipment to include PC
AlohaCare is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants in accordance with sound practices and federal and state laws. Our policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity or expression), pregnancy, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, arrest and court record, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, credit history, citizenship status, military/veterans status, or other characteristics protected under applicable state and federal laws, regulations, and/or executive orders.Position Description »