Marketing and Communications Supervisor
The Health Plan of San Mateo (HPSM), a managed care health plan, seeks a full time Marketing and Communications Supervisor to supervise the day-to-day activities of assigned marketing & communications staff while maintaining own workload. Provide operational and analytical support for marketing and communication projects. The supervisor is accountable for implementing and tracking the marketing and communications plan, programs and campaigns, including print and on-line advertising campaigns, visual media and internal/external events and activities. Responsible for project management software, leads special projects, plans meetings, prepares reports, maintains databases and assists with website content. Works collaboratively with other department managers and staff to ensure work is timely, accurate and complete.
The essential duties and responsibilities will include the following:
• Take lead in the planning and execution of HPSM’s marketing & communications strategy. Activities include, but are not limited to, coordination & execution of marketing and advertising campaigns, internal/external events, video productions and member communications.
• Accomplish staff results by communicating job expectations, enforcing policies and procedures, and guide the assigned team in development and use of project management system and other tools.
• Perform first-level HR functions such as time card approval, timely completion of performance evaluations, and performance improvement discussions.
• Participate in the selection of and orientation of new employees.
• Improve organizational and staff performance by analyzing/developing work flows, processes, and functional gaps and developing optimal solutions.
• Serve as project lead and is accountable for recurring and new marketing and communication projects, such as ANOC, member material updates, CA marketing campaigns and other communication projects.
• Aid in conducting market surveys and analyzing ROI of activities and events, and researching new opportunities of potential interest to HPSM’s target audiences.
• Work collaboratively with HPSM staff and vendors to define objectives, tactics and requirements for HPSM marketing and communication programs, campaigns and materials.
• Manages flow of information and communication and disseminate it according to plan/strategy.
• Research issues related to assigned projects, including regulatory compliance and identify impact and communicate with business owner.
• Ensures all marketing activities meet HPSM standards for compliance, quality, consistency and timely production.
• Oversees website including content, content management system (CMS), analytics, social media and ongoing web postings.
• Facilitate and document meetings in project management system and as appropriate; communicate and follow-up in an organized and easy-to-understand manner.
• Motivate, guide, train and backup departmental staff as necessary.
• Maintain a working knowledge of current industry best practices to make recommendations related to marketing practices and design.
• Manage vendor relationships and analyze vendor performance.
• Ensure timely completion of all deliverables as defined by his/her manager.
• Assist in the development of policies and procedures.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations or related field is preferred. Minimum four (4) years of experience in project management, marketing, communications, administration or related field required. Strong project management, planning, organizing, and/or coordinating experience required. Minimum of one (1) year supervisory experience. Background in health education, health information, and/or general wellness preferred.
Knowledge of: Marketing and communication tools, delivery methods, and best practices, including social media, print communications, newsletters, emails, and websites. Knowledge and use of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and/or Sitefinity CMS.USPS mailing rules preferred.
Ability to: Work cooperatively with others. Work effectively independently as well as part of a team and support team decisions. Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Adapt to changes in requirements/priorities for daily and specialized tasks. Produce accurate and precise work, detect discrepancies and resolve discrepancies all while meeting deadlines. Demonstrate strong analytical skills and problem solving skills as well as formulate and communicate recommendations for improvements as needed. Demonstrate strong organizational, time management, and project management skills and multi-tasking abilities. Learn new software and teach others software applications. Assume responsibility and exercise good judgment in making decisions within the scope of authority of the position. Work cross-collaboratively in teams, working groups, and with diverse staff, partners, members, doctors, elected officials, community partners, and vendors while maintaining and upholding a professional demeanor and to represent HPSM at interviews, official functions, meetings, and when conducting research. Represent HPSM at events, meetings, and professional functions.
Preferred: Strong collaboration skills with demonstrated ability to create and foster a collaborative work environment, and maintain effective, high performance teams. Strong organization skills with the ability to effectively prioritize multiple tasks and meet agreed-on deadlines. Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, Excel & PowerPoint. Experience with a project management database (preferably Wrike)
Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Basic knowledge of the business, economic, demographic and political trends and developments affecting healthcare in general, and sales and marketing in particular. Knowledge of regulatory requirements governing marketing and sales in health care, managed care, Medi-Cal & Medicare. Ability to handle confidential information with appropriate discretion.
Other: 5% to 10% travel required (primarily in San Mateo County, the San Francisco Bay Area and/or to conferences in-state or out-of-state). The incumbent must have own vehicle and valid driver’s license with proof of insurance in conformity with state law minimums. Bilingual skills in Spanish, Tagalog, Chinese or Russian preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting Compensation Range: – Depending on Experience
Benefits Information: Excellent benefits package offered, including HPSM paid premiums for employee’s Medical, Dental and Vision coverage. Employee pays a small portion of the dependent premiums (5%) for medical and dental benefits. Additional HPSM benefits include fully paid life, AD&D, and LTD insurance; retirement plan (HPSM contributes equivalent of 10% of annual compensation); holiday and vacation pay; tuition reimbursement plan; onsite fitness center and more.