Market Development Director
Under the direction of the SVP, Market Development, the Director, Market Development (the Director) is responsible for developing and executing market entry strategies in targeted markets (states) and certain new strategic product initiatives in existing markets (states). For assigned markets, the Director is recognized as the market leader/owner and is directly accountable for all aspects of developing the opportunity. The Director demonstrates initiative and leadership in coordinating, directing, and managing the activities of the cross-functional team assigned to support the market entry strategy. This position is also responsible for establishing and maintaining strategic client relationships including but not limited to appropriate state and local government officials, C-level executives at hospital and health systems, PHO’s, ACOs, FQHCs, community behavioral health systems, public health departments, provider associations, coalitions and community organizations. The Director collaborates with Government Relations staff to identify and engage “on the ground” support in each target market. The Director is responsible for developing a market-specific Opportunity Summary to obtain a go/no go decision from the ACFC Operating Committee via the Stage Gate approval process.
In addition to prospective client relationship development, management and retention, the Director will act as a resource to designated Market Presidents in current markets. The Director will need to understand the AmeriHealth Caritas Family of Companies (ACFC) products and client needs, identify, match and target specific initiatives to the appropriate ACFC product, and lead the effort to secure and or obtain renewals of new and existing contracts for ACFC by coordinating the resources of Regional and Market Presidents, Product Leaders and other AmeriHealth Caritas departments under the overall direction of the Chief Development Officer
• Relationship Development: Targets potential states and markets identified in the Pipeline and Tiering process. Gathers “intelligence” for use in populating each Opportunity Summary. Coordinates efforts with other ACFC departments including Government Relations to:
• Develop local relationships: identify and develop alliances / relationships to support ACFC future success in each target market while gathering primary market intelligence. The Director, Market Development is responsible for building, maintaining, and leveraging relationships with key external stakeholders supporting the development of Opportunity Summaries for AmeriHealth Caritas current and future products.
• Obtains relevant market information in new markets to obtain intelligence used for brand positioning and to influence the RFP process and/or response for new business (RFP, acquisition, applications), or bidding for existing business re-procurement;
• Maintains critical relationships in support of the national strategy across all product lines and businesses with the goal of positioning ACFC as an industry leader.
• Bachelor’s Degree required – Health Systems Administration or Marketing preferred.
• Master’s Degree Health Systems or Business Administration preferred.
• 7-10 years of large account sales or business development experience, with at least 5-7 years of that experience in public sector healthcare industry.
• Cultural competence with underserved populations.
• Comprehensive knowledge of business development.
• Ability to influence at all levels (various forums) including prior experience dealing with “C Level” decision makers in a variety of settings.
• Politically astute.
• Track record for ownership and accountability of large projects.
• Leadership skills.
• Extensive travel required – at least 70% of time.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.