IS Service Manager
Are you excited to step into a complex world that requires a blend of mind, heart and flexibility? We at CareOregon have been strengthening communities since 1994 by making health care work for everyone. As a nonprofit health plan largely focused on Oregon’s Medicaid population, we find fulfillment in supporting the underserved.
General Statement of Duties
The IS Service Manager is responsible for managing CareOregon’s front line IS Service Center team (service desk technicians) and ensuring that incident reports and requests are routed correctly to IS staff in support of our customers and membership. This position spends substantial time partnering with business leaders to understand current strengths and opportunities for technology service delivery; overseeing and maturing IS processes; and measuring and reporting on IS key performance indicators.
Essential Position Functions
IS Service Management Program
- Develop and operate an effective IS Service Management program aligned with recognized industry best practices.
- Responsible for the implementation and execution of IT Information Library (ITIL) and IT Service Management (ITSM) processes (e.g. incident, request, problem, asset, and change management) across all IS disciplines.
- Accountable for the management and ongoing configuration of IT Service Management tools and applications, such as ServiceNow.
- Champion the cause of service, predictability and customer service disciplines within the IS organization.
- Partner with all IS leaders to identify key performance metrics and report out on a defined schedule.
- Identify, build and report on the performance of service level agreements between IS and business teams.
- Identify, build and report on the performance of operational level agreements between IS teams.
- Plan and lead service management check-ins with key CareOregon business entities
- Establish and maintain an effective asset management system; manage software, hardware and service assets from purchase to termination or disposal
- Ensure the delivery of the IS technology supply chain with proper fiscal oversight, controls and reporting.
- Establish and execute the end user equipment lifecycle strategy.
- Establish and manage relations with equipment suppliers and other vendors, including ongoing product and service reviews and performance management.
- Ensure the operation and delivery of an efficient and effective service desk, call center, and technical support function.
- Develop, oversee and maintain an effective identity and access management program.
- Oversee and implement an effective technical training program for CareOregon staff.
- Participate in or lead policy development related to IS support practices, identity and access management, asset management and other areas.
IS Service Center
- Operate and maintain the IT Service Center as the front-line response to CareOregon staff needs.
- Ensure 24x7x365 availability and responsiveness of the IS Service Center.
- Inform the staffing and service availability needs for other IS departments based on incident and event data.
- Report on systems reliability (e.g. major incidents, downtimes, etc.) internally to IS and externally to CareOregon leaders.
- Oversee the execution and performance of tasks related to incidents and service requests.
- Develop, manage and operationalize long and short-term goals critical to the department’s success.
- Develop or participate in business planning, budgeting, performance targets and policy development.
- Participate in functional discussions and initiatives across departments.
- Utilize internal and/or external partnerships that leverage resources and enhance business group effectiveness.
- Lead continual improvement efforts and champion organizational change management within the IS Service Center Team.
Management and Leadership
- Plan, organize, monitor and frequently manage work projects.
- Manage team priorities and activities; ensure deliverables are met.
- Ensure compliance with internal auditing, HIPAA and other federal regulations.
- Train, supervise and evaluate performance of assigned staff.
- Provide staff with the training, mentoring and resources necessary to carry out their work.
- Ensure adherence to department and organizational standards, policies and procedures.
- Ensure performance goals, expectations and standards are clearly understood by supervised staff.
- Evaluate employee performance on an ongoing basis; take appropriate corrective action if needed.
- Perform human resource functions in collaboration with Human Resources.
Essential Department and Organizational Functions
- Propose and implement process improvements
- Meet deadlines for completion of workload.
- Maintain agreed upon work schedule.
- Demonstrate cooperation and teamwork.
- Provide cross-training on specific job responsibilities
- Meet identified business goals that contribute to departmental goals.
- Perform other duties as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Understanding of major technology hardware, software, best practices and design
- Demonstrated experience building and leading Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) and Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) programs including ServiceNow or similar software systems
- Advanced knowledge of IS customer service best practices, leading customer-centric teams and providing quality customer support
- Strong understanding and application of managerial concepts and techniques in areas such as project/change management, idea creation, employee development, coaching and cross-team effectiveness
- Demonstrated leadership in fostering continuous learning, empowerment, involvement and opportunities
- Ability to establish an independent view, effectively collaborate in decision-making and motivate others, especially during difficult situations or on tough organizational issues
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including meeting facilitation and presentations
- Ability to effectively communicate complex and/or controversial topics and concepts to a wide and diverse audience
- Sound judgment; ability to effectively elevate strategic concerns to senior management in a timely and accurate manner
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with management and external resources
- Strong knowledge of cross team calibration
- Ability to exercise a high degree of professionalism
- Ability to develop and monitor policies, risks and solutions
- Ability to effectively collaborate with coworkers, staff, leaders and executives across all departments
- Able to see the big picture beyond a request and take appropriate holistic action, employing “systems thinking”
- Advanced project management skills
- Advanced vendor management skills
- Advanced budget management skills
- Strong analytical and research skills; ability to see patterns in data and draw appropriate conclusions
- Ability to propose solutions and communicate the business value
- Ability to understand and adhere to governance and process
Cognitive and Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to focus on and comprehend information, learn new skills and abilities, assess a situation and seek or determine appropriate resolution, accept managerial direction and feedback, and tolerate and manage stress.
Education and/or Experience
Minimum 6 years’ experience in delivering and supporting IS related services required, including a minimum 2 years’ supervisory or people management experience. Experience must include most of the following:
- Leading teams in complex system projects, including developing and mentoring staff and people change management
- Improving service delivery through incident, request, problem and change management
- Managing vendors and contracts
- Influencing others
- Developing policy and roadmaps with business groups and aligning work efforts and solutions accordingly
- Developing or implementing ITIL or ITSM programs
- Any active or previous ITIL, Microsoft or similar certifications
Environment: This position’s primary responsibilities typically take place in the following environment(s) (check all that apply on a regular basis):
☒ Inside/office ☐ Clinics/health facilities ☐ Member homes
Travel: This position may include occasional required or optional travel outside of the workplace, in which the employee’s personal vehicle, local transit, or other means of transportation may be used.
Equipment: General office equipment and mobile technology
Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply. CareOregon is committed to building a linguistically and culturally diverse and inclusive work environment
Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal opportunity employer. This company considers all candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.Position Description »