This position is responsible for ensuring CenCal Health complies with all applicable federal and state regulations regarding public agency, health care and employment law, and its State Contract; and to ensure that the best interests of CenCal Health are represented and protected in all contract and other legal matters and negotiations.
This position is responsible for: performing all general legal services required by CenCal Health and its Board of Directors, including but not limited to: drafting or reviewing all contracts and other legal documents; providing legal advice to CenCal Health management, staff, and Board of Directors; negotiating real estate matters; ; identifying legal issues; providing counsel to the credentialing and peer review process; supervising Legal and Compliance staff; responding to all Public Records Act requests and subpoenas; writing and amending the Legal Policies and Procedures for CenCal Health; preparing for and appearing at Member Fair Hearings and Practitioner Fair Hearings; retaining and coordinating with outside counsel as necessary.
• Member of the Sr. Leadership Team
• Advise CenCal Health management on all legal matters pertaining to the Medi-Cal and any additional programs administered by CenCal Health; review
and approve all contracts and other legal documents of CenCal Health.
• Serve as legal counsel to CenCal Health’s Board of Directors; attend all Board of Director meetings and ensure that such meetings are conducted in strict
adherence with Brown Act provisions; sign Board documents as required; write Board resolutions; ensure compliance with all requirements of public
agency law, including Public Records Act and Political Reform Act.
• Negotiate and draft provider and vendor contracts; deal with contractual nonperformance issues.
• Respond to HIPAA compliant Public Record Act, Member Record requests and subpoenas for records. Write and update Legal Policies and Procedures.
• Assist outside employment counsel to CenCal Health in advising the Human Resources Director on labor and employment law issues.
• Act as legal counsel to the credentialing and peer review process carried out by CenCal Health.
• Prepare for and attend fair hearings for members and practitioners.
• Retain and interface with outside counsel where required for litigation, seeking legal opinions or other such matters.
• Manage Associate Legal Counsel staff and Legal Specialist(s) Represent CenCal Health and any affiliated entity in connection with real estate and lease
• Other duties and projects as assigned