Job Summary (General Overview, reporting to, work environment)
The General Counsel is responsible for providing and/or arranging for the provision of legal services to CenCal Health. Responsibilities include advising management and staff on legal issues as they arise, ensuring compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding public agency, health care and employment law, and the requirements of CenCal Health’s State Contract, and ensuring that the best interests of CenCal Health are represented and protected in all contract and other legal matters and negotiations. This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise CenCal Health management on all legal matters pertaining to Medi-Cal and any other health plans or programs administered by CenCal Health
- Advise management on organizational strategy and development, including consideration of both legal and non-legal issues, such as financial and operational concerns
- Serve as legal counsel to CenCal Health’s Board of Directors; attend all Board of Director meetings and ensure that such meetings are conducted in strict adherence to Brown Act provisions and CenCal Health’s Bylaws; draft and approve Board resolutions and other Board documents as required; ensure compliance with all requirements of public agency law, including Public Records Act and Political Reform Act
- Negotiate and draft or review provider and vendor contracts and contract revisions; deal with contractual nonperformance issues and contract terminations
- Member Record requests and subpoenas for records
- Assist outside employment counsel to CenCal Health in advising the Human Resources Director on labor and employment law issues
- Act as legal counsel to the CenCal Health Credentialing and Peer Review Committee
- Prepare for and represent CenCal Health at State member or provider administrative hearings and draft any related position statements or other documents
- Retain and manage outside counsel where required for litigation, legal opinions or expertise on specific matters
- Respond to specific issues as they may arise, including researching law and facts and developing solutions both independently and collaboratively
- Manage a staff of two Assistant Legal Counsel and two Legal Specialists
- Other duties and projects as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer
- Managed health care, government agency and contract law experience required
- Medi-Cal knowledge preferred
- Knowledge of HIPAA desirable
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required
- Analytic thinker with ability to brainstorm and solve complex issues
- Ability to function as both a leader and a team player and work well with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Able to manage multiple and varying responsibilities, both through delegation and hands-on effort
- Graduation from an ABA-approved law school
- California State Bar License
- Significant contract expertise
- Management experience
- Physical requirements needed to perform the essential functions of this job, with or without accommodation:
- Mobility Requirements: ability to operate a keyboard and sit for long periods; stand, sit, reach, bend, crawl, stoop, lift up to 10 lbs.
- Visual Requirements: ability to read close-up and do close-up work.
- Dexterity Requirements: ability to perform repetitive motion (keyboard); writing (note-taking).
- Hearing/Talking Requirements: ability to hear normal speech, hear and talk on the telephone.
- Emotional/Psychological Requirements: ability to work with a variety of individuals and deal with public contact in a normal office environment; flexible and adaptable.
- Must be able to sit and work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Must be able to travel outside the office periodically and attend meetings during and after regular work hours.
- Regular attendance is essential to perform this job.
- Must be able to work full time.
Possess a current, valid driver’s license with a clean driving recordPosition Description »