Director, Regional Affairs – Mecklenburg
Collaborates in the execution of County government affairs and external engagement strategy to promote the interests of Cardinal Innovations and its members. Supports the mission of Cardinal Innovations by cultivating, maintaining, and strengthening relationships with County-level elected, nonelected officials, and other influential stakeholders. The position serves a critical role on the Community Operations team, which works to strengthen stakeholder relationships, position the organization as a resource to stakeholders, and mitigate organizational risks. This position reports to the Vice President, Community Outreach & Engagement.
Relationships with Community Leaders and Elected Officials
– Implement local government relations plans in support of Cardinal Innovations, its member, and programs.
– Communicate and advocate to advance Cardinal Innovations’ priorities to local and regional elected officials and staff.
– Works in a matrixed relationship with Director of Government Affairs to inform local and regional elected officials on legislation and policy activities impacting Cardinal’s membership and works with Cardinal staff to analyze potential impacts on the organization.
– Apprise Cardinal leadership of relevant local government issues impacting Cardinal operations, reputation, and/or brand.
– Engage constituents inside and outside the organization in support of Cardinal’s government affairs and community engagement priorities.
– Proactively solicit input and feedback into Cardinal’s value and activities within the community.
– Execute engagement activities within a pre-defined frequency and cadence framework.
– Proactively brief stakeholders on Cardinal Innovations’ milestones and issues and receive their feedback, ensuring a clear and consistent two-way flow of information to assist in working toward next steps or the appropriate solutions.
– Coordinate and share activities with Director of Business Operations to ensure efficient and effective flow of information in and out of the organization.
Regional Health Council Model
– Represent Cardinal Innovations on the Regional Health Council and provide input into establishment of council objectives, agendas and attendees.
– Solicit feedback from elected and community leaders to surface ideas and concerns for consideration by the Councils.
– Collaborate with Director of Community Engagement and responsible for the seamless execution of Regional Health Improvement Plans.
– Coordinate activities with Regional Affairs Manager to ensure Regional Health Councils are operating effectively.
Implementation and Nurturing of Community Partnerships
– Support the Communications and Community Engagement team with events and other activities to support Cardinal’s government relations and strategic partnership goals.
– Assist with the development and implementation of special projects.
– Participate in internal and external stakeholder meetings as required.
Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
– Ability to build and grow long-term, trusting relationships within your region.
– Effectively communicate at all levels within the organization with the ability to influence and persuade effectively.
– Display courage in addressing difficult situations, aligning behavior with the organization’s position, needs and goals.
– Demonstrate the flexibility necessary to adjust to changing and/or additional duties and responsibilities as the market and company changes
– Ability to proactively determine the needs of the region within which you operate in order to serve members and stakeholders to the highest level of customer service.
– Ability to build a team environment with strong morale, positive energy within a consultative and goal-oriented culture.
– Ability to effectively coach direct reports to meet performance requirements.
– Ability to develop and improve the performance of team and individuals by providing clear expectations, delivering performance feedback and follow up.
– Strong ability to lead teams, work cross functionally to drive results, assess talent and make recommendations to senior leadership relative to structural human resources need to support the business.
– Discernment, business acumen, excellent written and verbal skills.
Education and Experience:
– Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, Communications, or related field. (Master of Public Affairs, Business Administration, or Health Administration preferred)
– 10+ years’ experience in Government, Public Affairs, Government Relations or Community Relations.
Valid Driver’s License Required: No
Travel Type: None Required
Equal Opportunity Employer/ Protected Veteran/ Individuals with Disabilities
Cardinal Innovations is firmly committed to the policy of providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all of its employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, age, color, sex, religion, creed, veteran status, genetic information, national origin, non-job related disability, sexual orientation, and/or gender identity or expression (except as mandated by law). Employment at Cardinal is based solely on a person’s merit and qualifications directly related to professional competence. For that reason, we consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Our equal employment opportunity philosophy complies with federal, state and local law and applies to all aspects of employment with Cardinal, including recruiting, hiring, training, transfer/promotion, compensation, benefits and termination.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by contacting Cardinal’s Human Resources department at HumanResources@cardinalinnovations.org Someone from the HR team will reach out to see how we may be able to assist.Position Description »