Community and Government Relations Manager
Apply on line at http://www.alohacare.org/Careers/Default.aspx
AlohaCare is a local, non-profit health plan serving the Medicaid and Medicare dual eligible population. We provide comprehensive managed care to qualifying health plan members through well-established partnerships with quality health care providers and community-governed health centers. Our mission is to serve individuals and communities in the true spirit of aloha by ensuring and advocating access to quality health care for all. This is accomplished with emphasis on prevention and primary care through community health centers that founded us and continue to guide us as well as with others that share our commitment. As Hawai`i’s third largest health plan, AlohaCare offers comprehensive prevention, primary and specialty care coverage in order to successfully build a healthy Hawai`i.
AlohaCare employees share a passion for helping Hawai`i’s most underserved communities. This passion for helping and caring for others is internalized and applied to our employees through a supportive and positive work environment, healthy work/life balance, continuous communication and a generous benefits package.
AlohaCare’s leadership empowers and engages its employees through frequent diversity, recognition, community, and educational events and programs. AlohaCare has a strong commitment to support Hawai`i’s families and reinforces a healthy work/home balance for its employees. Because AlohaCare values honesty, respect and trust with both our internal and external customers, we encourage open-door, two-way communication through daily interactions, employee events and quarterly all-staff meetings. AlohaCare’s comprehensive benefits package includes low cost medical, dental, drug and vision insurance, PTO program, 401k employer contribution, referral bonus and pretax transportation and parking program.
These employee-focused efforts contribute to a friendly, team-oriented culture which is positively reflected into the communities we serve.
AlohaCare believes that collaborative advocacy and partnership with community and government partners is important for advancing the health and well-being of our members and low-income communities across Hawai`i. This position manages community and government relations strategy development and implementation that advance the health and well-being of our target service populations. AlohaCare seeks candidates with a track record of positive and constructive team leadership capable of engaging partners in the value of AlohaCare’s mission, vision and values.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Collaborate to develop community and government relations strategies and oversee implementation to achieve outcomes and goals.
• Build and maintain long-term, productive organizational relationships through collaboration and partnership that support strategic objectives.
• Provide public policy recommendations based on research, analysis, regulations and private or community initiatives and trends.
• Manage media projects and key stakeholder inquiries and response.
• Communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences including, government agencies, legislators, community leaders and advocates, members, providers, employees and media.
• Adapt communication for a variety of formal and informal forums including public hearings, media statements, small and large group presentations, correspondence, digital media, printed material, video and business meetings.
• Represent AlohaCare in a variety of public and private forums, including legislative hearings, conferences, and collaborative projects.
• Responsible for meeting deadlines, timelines, and commitments to ensure completion of multiple projects involving internal and external partners.
• Provide leadership and oversight of department staff, including hiring, supervision, job performance review, coaching and when necessary, disciplinary actions and termination.
• Manage vendors to ensure the timely delivery of quality goods and services within budget targets, including the negotiation of contractual terms.
• Manage department budgetary and financial processes in compliance with company policies and procedures.
• Develop and maintain AlohaCare policies and procedures, reference materials, and other documentation to in compliance with contractual, accreditation, and applicable State and Federal rules and regulations relating to department responsibilities.
• Responsible to maintain AlohaCare’s confidential information in accordance with AlohaCare policies, and state and federal laws, rules and regulations regarding confidentiality. Employees have access to AlohaCare data based on the data classification assigned to this job title.
• Comply with all applicable State and Federal rules, regulations, policies, and procedures relating to marketing, communication and advertising materials and activities.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
• At least 5 years of state and/or federal public policy and/or community relations experience
• Prior health industry
• Management and supervisory experience
• Positive, energetic and self-motivated leader
• Willingness to embrace AlohaCare’s unique mission, corporate culture and overall goals
• Ability to play an effective role on a team with members of various skill and expertise
• Strong written, oral and interpersonal communication adaptable for a wide range of audiences
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem solving ability
• Ability to work in a variety of cultural and business environments
• Ability to adapt to new directions and information
• Ability to train and develop staff
• Detail-oriented and able to work independently
• Ability to work under tight deadlines and manage multiple priorities
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office products
• Valid driver’s license and access to an insured vehicle for off-site activities
• Media and/or communications experience
• Relationship building experience
• Health care experience, preferably in a managed care organization
• Knowledge of Medicaid and Medicare programs
Mental, Physical and Environmental Demands:
• Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
• Inside working conditions
• No environmental hazards
• Requires operation of general office equipment to include PC
AlohaCare is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants in accordance with sound practices and federal and state laws. Our policy prohibits discrimination and harassment because of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity or expression), pregnancy, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, arrest and court record, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, credit history, citizenship status, military/veterans status, or other characteristics protected under applicable state and federal laws, regulations, and/or executive orders.Position Description »