Chief Operations Officer
Position Title: Chief Operations Officer
Title of Manager: Chief Executive Officer
Supervision: Supervisory position
Employment Status: Regular – Exempt
General Statement of Duties
The Chief Operations Officer (COO) is responsible for ensuring the operational effectiveness of company operations, overseeing multiple operationals units of the organization. This position develops, implements and maintains policies, practices, and programs in conjunction with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and company leadership to meet customer performance targets, regulatory requirements, strategic goals and company-wide initiatives. This position collaborates with department directors to design and implement operational changes using improvement methodology and assists in developing and implementing the annual business plan related to health plan operations performance metrics.
Essential Position Functions
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate the organization’s operational functions.
- Participate in the development of the organization’s annual business plan.
- Evaluate and advise on the impact of long-range planning, introduction of new programs/strategies and regulatory action on plan operations.
- Provide strategic oversight of multiple executive and operational directors and their teams.
- Provide periodic reports, operational assessments, future capital needs, and budget performance and trends in order to assist the Board and CEO in performing their responsibilities.
- Enhance and/or develop, and implement policies and procedures of the organization.
- Participate in continual improvement of processes through education of department managers on issues impacting their operations and budgets.
- Provide strategic input and leadership on decision-making issues affecting the organization; i.e., evaluation of potential alliances, partnerships, new business opportuniaties, and acquisitions.
- Evaluate the organization’s structure and implementation of continual improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness.
- Provide leadership to direct reports to encourage professional and personal growth.
- Demonstrate commitment to CareOregon’s mission, vision, and values.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Management and Leadership
- Train, supervise and evaluate performance of assigned staff
- Provide staff with the training, mentoring and resources necessary to carry out their work
- Ensure adherence to department and organizational standards, policies and procedures
- Ensure performance goals, expectations and standards are clearly understood by supervised staff
- Evaluate employees’ performance on an ongoing basis and take appropriate corrective action if needed
- Perform human resource functions in collaboration with Human Resources
- Model and support CareOregon SPIRTED organizational values
Essential Organizational Functions
- Supports and operates in alignment with the organization’s core values.
- Strives to meet work goals that contribute to departmental and organizational goals.
- Adheres to organizational standards, policies and procedures, as well as compliance requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Interpersonal skills – the individual has exceptional relationship-builing skills to promote an open and positive atmosphere.
- Problem solving – the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Oral communication – the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts productive meetings.
- Delegation – the individual delegates work assignments, gives authority to work independently, and sets expectations and monitors delegated activities.
- Leadership – the individual inspires and motivates others to perform well, accepts feedback from others, and develops high-performing teams.
- Management skills – the individual includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; makes self available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth.
- Judgment – the individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions.
- Planning/organizing – the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
- Strong knowledge and understanding or the ability to learn the tenants of managed care in the healthcare world, including the following:
- Oregon Health Authority
- Health Share of Oregon
- Care Oregonas a Risk Accepting Entity
- HIPAA privacy and security
- Health Exchanges
- Accountable Care Act
Education and/or Experience
Position requires a Bachelor’s degree in public health, health care administration, business administration, or related field and at least ten (10) years progressive experience working in a senior leadership role managing health plan operations and managed care; OR any work experience and/or training that would likely provide the ability to perform the essential functions of the position. Masters degree in business or health care and knowledge of regulations and statutes pertaining to Affordable Care Act, Medicare and Medicaid is preferred.
This is a senior level position in the organization and a corporate officer. The person in this position will be expected to possess a high degree of initiative and motivation along with the ability to effectively collaborate with co-workers, other departments and outside the company with individual members and the community. As an exempt position the working hours vary including evening meetings, on-call status and travel including some overnight stays.
Equal opportunity employer. This company considers all candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Veterans welcome to applyPosition Description »